- Make sure you have a pool of reliable content providers.
- Quality check the editorial content and make sure it is easily accessible, navigable and has no broken links.
- Clear content with the appropriate people before publishing it.
- Check that it is in line with the overall communication strategy.
- Reviewed overall content regularly.
- Remove or archive content when appropriate.
Effective day-to-day operation
Your web team's broad responsibilities should include:
- Maintaining the integrity of the website's structure, content and availability.
- Publishing content and ensuring its consistency and accuracy.
- Setting and maintaining your organisation's style guidelines for the web.
- Managing the contract with the hosting service.
- Monitoring bandwidth availability and usage statistics.
- Keeping internal stakeholders informed of performance against targets.
Whether your website is produced internally or by an external agency, we recommend full documentation at each stage. This will be a useful reference both for current team members and future staff.
Additionally, the following processes and procedures will be useful:
- editorial and publishing process;
- HTML production process;
- production process for other document formats;
- house style;
- roles and responsibilities;
- management of external suppliers (including hosting);
- records of software and licence agreements;
- record of all domain names and sub-domains registered;
- record of permissions granted by third parties for links to their websites;
- record of intellectual property rights permissions obtained for materials such as text, graphics, audio and video clips;
- management of passwords.
Managing your site checklist
- Do you have an effective content management strategy?
- Is your bulletin board or discussion group moderated effectively?
- Do you have a clear acceptable use policy on the site?
- Are the day-to-day operational responsibilities clearly assigned?
- Has the site been integrated into your contingency planning?
- Do you have an appropriate security policy?
- Will you receive useful data to enable you to evaluate the success of your site?
- How frequently will the site be evaluated?
- Do you have a full set of management documentation?
Last updated: 09/07/08